Fitness & Nutrition
Ways to Eat Pineapple
- Pineapple is a great snack on its own or in a mix of fruits
- Pineapple can be made into a salsa or chutney to pour over grilled meats
- Pineapple is delicious grilled in rings or cut into chunks and skewer
- Add pineapple chunks to salads or stir fry for delicious citrus flavor
- Add pineapple to smoothies in the morning
- Pineapple is a great marinade addition because it is a natural meat tenderiz
Selecting & Storing Pineapple
- Pineapples should have some give to them when squeezed. If it is too firm, it is not yet ripe. If it is too soft, it may be brown and overriped when cut open.
- Shell color is not an indicator of ripeness, some pineapples are ripe when green, some when brown
- Look for healthy green leaves
- A ripe pineapple that is whole, can be stored at room temperature for 2 days, but should then be cut. You can keep it fresh longer in the refrigerator.
Pineapple and Nutrition
- Pineapple contains bromelain which helps break down protein so that it is more easily absorbed by the digestive system so they can be used more quickly and speed muscle recovery
- Bromelain also has been shown in test tube studies to suppress cancer cell growth
Did you know?
- The antioxidants found in pineapple survive harsher conditions and have longer lasting health effects. This is call being "bound"
- Pineapples got their name because they were thought to look like a pinecone
- Pineapples are not part of hte apple family, they are actually a berry
- Pineapplse ripen faster when stored upside down